The John Faber Memorial Photography Contest and Show is a popular annual Smith Mountain Arts Council event.
The contest draws casual, amateur, and professional photographers from a wide area surrounding Smith Mountain Lake, including Roanoke, Lynchburg, Martinsville and beyond.
About John Faber
Source: 2007 Smith Mountain Eagle article by Rebecca Jackson
- Renown photojournalist, retired at SML with wife Trudy, passed away in 1993
- 1950-1983 served as Eastman-Kodak technical and public relations representative to the largest news organizations in the nation.
- Worked closely with Margaret Bourke-White (first Life Mag cover) as liaison between her and Eastman Kodak
- 1963 became the first westerner to interview the Dali Lama. Faber photo was used as the Dali Lama official portrait for many years.
- He documented the history of news photography, interviewing the great photojournalists, and compiling the results into a book, “Great News Photos and the Stories Behind Them. Nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in 1979.